Thursday, January 17, 2008

To Be Remarkable, Improve on Strengths

Here's snippet #3 of my article 7 Ways to be Remarkable from the January 2008 issue of Pentecostal Messenger:

3. Improve on Strengths

I am a half-way decent musician, having played piano and bass over 20 years. I also know a little about roofing, having worked on several roofing projects. But I am a better musician than I am a roofer because I spend much more time working on my music.

If I did things the other way around, instead of "knowing a little" about roofing, I might become a half-way decent roofer. I would then be half-way decent at both roofing and music, but not remarkable in either. I prefer instead to work on music, so that I might move from "half-way decent" to "downright awesome" or "flat-out remarkable."

Jacks-of-all-trades do not attract attention, but virtuosos get invited for private performances with presidents. Common laborers risk lay-offs continually, while top performers not only keep their jobs but also make better money. I think when Jesus promised "life more abundantly," he was saying that Christians should abound in everything they do. They should be found among the best scholars, musicians, and athletes. They should be like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah whom the king found "ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers that were in all his realm." That's remarkable, and it will only happen when you commit to improve on things you're already good at.
Note: If you don't already receive Pentecostal Messenger and you'd like to, the Pentecostal Church of God is offering free subscriptions for the remaining 2008 issues. For details, go to www.pcg.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment