Saturday, April 14, 2007

Work on Strengths or Weaknesses?

I am a half-way decent musician, having played piano and bass for nearly twenty years. I also know a little about carpentry, from helping my grandpa roof houses for a few summers.

I am a better musician than I am a carpenter.

Now say I have a choice of two books to read. One is on music theory. The other is on carpentry. I have to read one or the other. Which do I choose?

Do I choose carpentry, because my carpentry skills are weaker?

Not if I want to become remarkable.

If all I do is work on my weaknesses, then eventually I will become average at everything.

But if I take time to hone my strengths, then my strengths will move from "half-way decent" to "pretty good" and then, perhaps, to "downright awesome".

If you're wondering what this has to do with disciplemaking, let me explain.

You, as a preacher or teacher, will choose which books you want to read this year, which conferences you want to attend, or which video curriculum to watch. If you're given a choice between communications skills and, say, end-time prophecy, which do you choose?

1 comment:

  1. Ken,
    As per Hamlet, "Brevity is the soul of wit." Your postings are very concise and to the point.

    VanOuse

    ReplyDelete