Wednesday, October 25, 2006

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day - ch 2

I just finished chapter two of Mark Batterson's In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day.

One chapter. Three fresh insights to God's nature.

Insight #1 - God is incomprehensibly smarter than I am.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. - Isaiah 55:9
Looking back, I think have taken this verse at its shallowest meaning - like the air is above the earth, God's thoughts are above mine. Batterson, however, takes the verse to its ultimate meaning -- as far as the farthest galaxy is from the earth, so are God's thoughts from mine.
But light from the furthest galaxy takes 12.3 billion years to get here.... And God says that is about the distance between his thoughts and our thoughts. [page 28]
Insight #2 - God is more excited about my destiny than I am.
God wants you to get where God wants you to go more than you want to get where God wants you to go. [page 30]
I don't know why, but I hadn't ever thought of that. I think I assumed God was too busy with other projects to worry much about mine, let alone be even more concerned than I am.

Why didn't I get this sooner? After all, he's even counted the hairs on my head, while I have hard enough time counting the ones that fall off in the shower [five just this morning].

Insight #3 - There are no "big" or "little" prayer requests.
To the infinite, all finites are equal. There is no big or small, easy or difficult, possible or impossible. When it comes to God, there are no degrees of difficulty. [page 33]
Wow! We keep thinking, "this is big" or "this is small", but to God, all prayer requests are the same. He can raise the dead just as easily as he can heal a headache.

Jesus asked if it was easier to say, "Thy sins be forgiven thee" or to say "Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk." The answer? To the infinite, omnipotent, omniscient God, the difference is too small to be measured.

No comments:

Post a Comment